Most Beautiful Course in Delaware!
The 26.2 mile Boston Marathon Qualifying Run starting on the iconic Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk, then though beautiful neighborhoods of Rehoboth and up to Delaware Seashore State Parks' Gordons Pond Wild Life Area into Cape Henlopen State Park site of the historic Fort Miles then into historic Lewes, DE and the new Rail Trail, back via the Junction & Breakwater Trail and thru the quaint seashore residential area of Rehoboth. Finishing back on the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk at Rehoboth Ave.
Sunday, April 14, 2024 @ 7am
Rehoboth Ave & Boardwalk
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
Trail Description in Cape Henlopen State Park along Marathon Course
Miles 3.5 to 5.9
Gordons Pond Trail
From the Gordons Pond parking lot, the trail follows the edge of Gordons Pond
for approximately 0.75 miles over a level packed crushed stone surface to
a scenic overlook. The overlook provides a scenic vista and is popular among
nature enthusiasts for bird watching. From the overlook, the trail takes users
for another 1.2 miles around the pond, then transitions into an elevated boardwalk
(pictured below) for 0.4 miles. Along the boardwalk are two additional scenic overlooks,
allowing for views of the salt marsh and beach. The trail transitions back to packed
crushed stone and continues through an upland pine forest for 0.3 miles before reaching
the Herring Point parking area.
Miles 5.9 to 6.9
Walking Dune Trail
This newly improved trail begins with a third of a mile beautiful pine tree cover trail with small
undulations and then opens up in to the Salt Marsh where there are two
short bridge crossings with unbelievable views. The surfaced in level packed
Mile 7.5 to 11
Bike Loop Trail
This paved trail (pictured below) is suitable for runners, bikers, strollers, and rollers.
The bike loop trail links the Park Office, Nature Center, campground, beach bathhouse,
outdoor fitness area, observation tower, and the Fort Miles Historic Area. The observation
tower is a popular stop along the trail. Climb the circular staircase for a panoramic view of
the Cape Region. The Bike Loop provides side trails which connect to the fishing pier and
kayak rental, the campground, and an ocean and dune overlook, resting atop a former
military bunker. The trail contour is easy to moderate in difficulty. The Bike Loop Trail
allows for a full experience and appreciation of the park.
Miles 18.2 to 23.4
Junction & Breakwater Trail
This trail follows a section of the former Penn Central railroad between Lewes and Rehoboth
Beach. Approximately 2.5 miles are along an easy contour on a crushed stone surface
(pictured below). The trail is suitable for runners, bikers, and strollers. Trail users will pass
through mature hardwood and conifer forests and open fields, and will experience scenic
vistas of coastal marshes at the Wolfe Glade and Holland Glade crossings. Interpretive signs
provide opportunities to learn about plant and animal life along the trail.
Course Cut-Off Times (7:00am Start)
Mile 11: 9:45am (15:00 min/mile)
Mile 20: 12:00pm (15:00 min/mile)
Finish: 1:45pm, 6 hours 45 minutes (15:27 min/mile)
Hydration & Nutrition Stations
Water and Lemon-Lime Gatorade Endurance Formula will be located at each hydration station. They will be located approximately every 1.5 to 2 miles along the marathon course. GU Gels in assorted flavors available at miles 13.1 & 21.5.
Marathon Quick Facts
- Finisher Medal for all participants!
- Gender specific Tech Race Shirt
- The 2024 marathon is a 2025 Boston Marathon Qualifer
- You must be at least 16 years old on race day to participate in the marathon
- Course Cut-Off times: Mile 11: 9:45am (15:00 min/mile), Mile 20: 12:00pm (15:00 min/mile), Finish: 1:45pm (15:27 min/mile)
- The marathon starts at 7:00 am at Rehoboth Ave & Rehoboth Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE
- The participant limit is 900 runners
- If you are 16 or older, you must have your ID to pick up your race number – NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are picking up race numbers for others, you must have your ID, a note from the person you are picking up for authorizing you to pick up their packet and a copy of their ID – NO EXCEPTIONS. PACKET PICK UP AUTHORIZATION FORM HERE
- Most Beautiful Course in Delaware!
- The 26.2 mile Boston Marathon Qualifying Run starting on the iconic Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk, then though beautiful neighborhoods of Rehoboth and up to Delaware Seashore State Parks' Gordons Pond Wild Life Area into Cape Henlopen State Park site of the historic Fort Miles then into historic Lewes, DE and the new Rail Trail, back via the Junction & Breakwater Trail and thru the quaint seashore residential area of Rehoboth. Finishing back on the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk at Rehoboth Ave.
MARATHON MAP MY RUN MAP: CLICK HERE